1. Optimally secured so that your site is not hacked
If your website is not kept up to date with the latest security updates, chances are that sooner or later your website will be hacked. An estimated 30,000 websites are hacked every day with major consequences. I already wrote about it in the blog post “ Five business risks if your site is hacked: from image damage to damage claim ”:
- Your website is temporarily offline causing you to lose customers
- You drop in the Google ranking and are therefore less likely to be found
- If you spread malware on your site, there is a chance that you have a damage claim
- Your company emails are considered spam and no longer reach your customers
- The GDPR legislation is being violated, which means that you also risk a fine here
2. You keep your website fast for optimal performance
If your website was built by professionals, you can almost be sure that it met all technical requirements at the time of going live. But technology on the internet is changing fast, very fast! Just think of the following:
- New devices are regularly released on which your website has not been tested. For example, your website may not look optimal on the latest smartphone or tablet.
- The server on which your website is hosted is provided with the latest updates, so that the settings are no longer optimal and your site slows down.
- New social media are hot so you want to link to it, but this cannot be done out-of-the-box.
- Technical or textual adjustments to the site cause technical problems that undermine the speed of your site.
I compare it to the maintenance of a car: all these things are monitored and the necessary actions are taken to ensure that your site remains in top condition.
3. A fast site scores higher in Google
An important reason why a website scores high in Google is its speed. If it takes longer than 3 seconds to display the page (with photos), you will be mercilessly punished for this and your competitor will be above you in the search results. People click through to that site and you lose visitors and therefore money. So make sure that your site stays in top condition, so that the investment in your site is not lost.
4. Easier to add innovations
You may also sometimes have that feeling that a website just looks good, is modern or rather old-fashioned. This usually has to do with speed and technology. Updates to the CMS of your website regularly provide nice new functionalities: by being up to date with the latest technology, you are automatically up to date with the latest novelties on the web and your website will feel less dated.
So updates are a good idea
You can see that it is a good idea to keep your site up-to-date. You can do this yourself, just as you can do the maintenance on your car yourself. You must then regularly remember to carry out the updates, make sure that the settings are correct and that everything still works after the update.
If you prefer to leave it to professionals, our experts can keep your Drupal or WordPress website up-to-date and in top condition thanks to our in-depth knowledge.